This one took no thinking at all for me. In my opinion, the member of the month for this edition of Pic Fed Magazine has to be Mikey! Mikey has been pumping out top quality shows, as well being a great replier, and even offering to help out with the magazine by making the cover, and doing half of the Power 25 at incredibly short notice! Thanks for being such a good sport Mikey, and keep it up!
♦Figure Review♦ by Deskjet.
Figure review goes a little upmarket this edition with a video!
♦Blast From the Past♦ by mallett
IZW - Test Of Strength
The influence IZW had on many pic fedders such as Guru, Mallett and KC is plain to see. It was the pinnacle of everything an independent federation should contain, and was at the top of the pic fed board for an albeit, short time. Just watch the first match! Using 4 made up guys, Twizted produced one of the best pic fed matches i have EVER seen. Mallett even used the Samoan Gangsta Party and made them BAOW Tag Champions, just showing the impact IZW had on the board. And perhaps most importantly, who can forget those insane poses. This man managed to execute a perfect Crippler Crossface pose, something i had never seen before, or since. For other viewing, check out Fall From Grace!
♦The Shocking 5!♦ by Cattle Mutilation
5) - Mr. Saito puts Rick Martel out of action! (AWA) A brutal assault by Mr Saito not only put Martel out of the arena on a stretcher, but also cost Saito $10,000 in wages, and earnt him an indefinite suspension!
4) - Hallowicked unmasks! (ROP) After putting up a huge fight for his three year long cruiserweight title reign, Hallowicked lost the match, title, and his mask!
3) - Tommy Dreamer and Raven allign! (ROP) The two hated rivals Dreamer and Raven have shockingly alligned in ROP against CM Punk! This is a first in any world of wrestling!
2) - Cactus Jack tosses The Necro Butcher! (FIW) Although the two men were allies heading into New York, they were the complete opposite at the end. As it looked like Necro was in control of Raven, Jack blasted his 'friend' with a steel chair and sent him crashing to the arena floor from up high in the stands!
1) - Triple H has CM Punk ran over! (WWEF) After a heated feud heading into the grandest stage of all of WWEF, ResuRRection, Triple H and CM Punk finally got the chance to settle thier differences in a street fight! It was a back and forth encounter, but ended in a shocking manner, as CM Punk was ran over by a truck to end the match!
Note from Shifty: Apologies, lost the pm you sent me in a mass of pm about classifieds and some conversations!
♦Pic Fed Spotlight♦ by The Champ is Here.
For the pic fed spotlight, I chose to interview our mod, The Warsman!
What made you start pic fedding?
First off, thank you very much for selecting me to interview for Pic Fed Magazine. My pic fedding started off for many reasons. I only collected the "Classic Superstars" line, but I do enjoy making custom figures. Early on, I had plenty of opportunity to work on customs, as Jakks had not gotten around to making many of the characters I wanted (they would in time, though!).
So as my personal collection grew, and my custom collection grew, I happened upon the Pic Fed board. I first marveled at Mr. Nrrg's fed, as it was (and still in, IMO) head and shoulders above everyone else's in just about every aspect of fedding. He had a deep roster, storylines, many different enviornments, customs, great interviews, nice action, just the whole shebang. At the time, I didn't even think of a "Classic style fed," until a year or so later, STOMWIJF posted his Royal Rumble match with only Classic Superstars, which I really enjoyed. That planted the seed to make my show, WrestleFest.
I put out a few shows, that I had fun making, but the reaction was very strange in my opinion. Casual viewers and non-fedders reacted very positively. The established fedders back then largely ignored me and my work. I definetly didn't feel "embraced" by this community. At first I thought it was my use of solely Classic Superstars, but then I began to feel it was other issues. Since I felt it wasn't really appreciated, and knowing how much work goes into putting on a good show, I just chose to stop and focus on making customs, backgrounds and other hobbies.
Flashforward almost two years, and I noticed Mo4Sho's post in the Pic Fedding board looking for "like-minded people" to start and Old School Territory. There was interest from a few people, and I definetly felt an urge to finish a few storylines I began almost 2 years prior. I made a quick .gif with a television set turning on, showing a new WrestleFest logo, and then turning off. The whole thing was only about 3 seconds long, but it got a little buzz going, so I figured, yeah, I'll try it out again, but only for myself and the guys in the group, as I found it to be unhealthy for me to need feedback to keep going. (Contrary to popular belief, the board has never been GREAT about giving our feedback or replies)
What is your favorite part of pic fedding?
My favorite part of pic fedding is still displaying the final product. I enjoy all parts to varying degrees, from writing and planning, to finding the parts and customs I need, to shooting the matches and vignettes, and lastly putting it all together in the Comic Book Creator program I use.
Writing out the commentary can be quite tedious, though, as most of my shows are well over 100 comic book pages long, meaning they might have anywhere from 2 to 6 images per page, each typically requiring some form of commentary or sound effect. That is my LEAST favorite task, even though I really enjoy writing commentary for teams like Gorilla Monsooon and Bobby Heenan, and Vinc eMcMahon and Jesse Ventura.
What is your process for putting together a show?
Well, for matches I feel are important, I usually take my pad of legal paper and write out each match move for move. I typically use the game cards I made for my table top game, which lists dozens of moves and holds for each wrestler, that way I avoid using moves outside of a wrestler's moveset--though I will on occasion.
Then with my 'script' I just start shooting. I usually just go through the card from opener to main event, though I have experimented with shooting the Main Event first, to see if it helps as I'm "fresher" and not as likely to shorten the match due to what I call "fedding-fatigue." When I do that though, I've found my poses are stiffer than if I shoot the card from beginning to end. So overall, I like waiting until the end to shoot the main events, my poses are better because of the prior matches.
Then I load up my pics on the computer and fire up Comic Book Creator, a nice little program that is no longer sold by its creator, MashOn! Games. It's a handy drag and drop program that lets me place all my pics first, then go back in and drag and drop speech balloons, sound effects, etc. One draw back is in this area. From time to time, the program will resize the speech balloons into a smaller balloon and cut off the end of my sentences. It's annoying, but luckily it doesn't happen all that often. I still cringe when I go back and see it though! The Survivor Series show was such a long, drawn out show to make that I didn't edit it like I should have, nor did I even watch it online for a number of weeks. When I did, I noticed too many resized balloons cutting off sentences, but what can you do? Hopefully that will remind me to edit them properly going forward.
Who is your favorite character in your fed?
That's tough. Anyone who watches WrestleFest can tell I have a real affinity for the characters that populated the wrestling scene in the 1980's, especially the WWF. If I had to only choose one, it would be Hulk Hogan. His character is such an easy one to involve in about any type of feud you can imagine! Being the champion, he is a target to all rulebreakers, but he's also the type to charge in and face off with them and play the hero. There's just a ton of ways to involve him.
On the flipside, I have to say my other favorite character is the Honky Tonk Man. He is such the antithesis of the Hogan character, and he has the added feature of being a character people generally hate and want to see be destroyed. So far, I've only involved him in a feud with the Junkyard Dog, which I still get a laugh out of when I think of Honky and Jimmy Hart being sent to the...ahem, bar like in the scene from Police Academy.
Outside of your fed, what is your favorite storyline, or character? or the ones that intrigue you the most?
I typically enjoy the old school stuff, being a TWA guy, that's probably obvious. I like everything I've seen under a TWA banner.
But to look outside the TWA, I gotta put over brm's FIW. He has the best action shots in the hobby. He has the poses period, imo. People might not believe it, but I do enjoy the indy scene, at least I did in the 90's and the earlier part of the last decade. So I appreciate the style and look he is going for, and man, does he ever go for it! His action is second to none. I always enjoy how he uses CM Punk, as I was alb e to see alot of him on the indy circuit at IWA:Mid-South shows years ago.
I also really enjoy deskjet's TNA, which is funny because I hate the real TNA product. deskjet really knows how to pace out and produce a good show, which is why I was disappointed to see him slide into the highlight show style. But to each his own, and he still makes a slick, enjoyable product. I was pulling for his Mr. Anderson at FigaMania, who is one of my favorite characters right now.
You have a very unique presentation, comic book style. Why did you decide to go with this?
I really like the format. I grew up reading and loving comic books. I still buy some graphic novels from time to time, so it's just a format I like and am very familiar with. Plus wrestling in a comic book format seemed like a no-brainer to me! The larger-than-life characters I use are almost super heroes in their own right. Plus, back when I started, almost everyone had the same style, a Proboards site with hosted pics and commentary underneath. I thought the comic book style was a positive move away from the same 'ol same old.
Anything else you'd like to say?
Even though I am currently taking a small break from WrestleFest (for arena upgrades and some custom orders and head orders) I will be back sooner rather than later. And YES, I will eventually reveal who the "Man in the Mask" is! I'd also like to encourage people who haven't yet tried fedding to give it a shot! It is a fun and creative way to express yourself! Thanks for the questions!
♦Behind The Scenes!♦ by The Fan Man!
Materials: Two Wood Shelves (Screens), Half a Base of the Real Scale Ring (Stage), WCW Steel Steps, Black Mat, Unlabeled 2006/7 episodes of RAW and SmackDown on Video tape, Black Trashbags (Curtains and to tarp off some things), Announce Table, Jakks and TNA Ring Ropes, Hell in a Cell Ring, Jakks Steel Steps, Custom Cardboard Timekeepers Table, Jakks Ring Bell, Microphones and Headsets and custom made Announce Team Papers.
Materials: Two Pieces of the Classic Blue Cage (Interview Set), Custom painted XEW Sign and a Black Trashbag.
Now let's get a word with co-#1 Contender to the XEW World Championship, CM Punk, on his thoughts on XEW
Matt Striker: Uh, Punk.....?
CM Punk: WHAT?
Matt Striker: I just wanted to get your thoughts on XEW.
CM Punk: How about put on a f--kin show without Abraham Washington and then get back to me on how I feel about XEW, okay, MATT?
CM Punk: .....GO.
01) The nWo (wTw) [+, NR] Not only did the nWo recruit the World Champion of wTw, Chris Jericho, to thier ranks, but they also recruited the iconic Hulk Hogan once more! After Hogan turned on The Undertaker, the nWo sent a message to him and the rest of wTw with Nash nailing the Deadman with a huge Jacknife Powerbomb onto the steel steps!
02) Raven (ROP) [=] "The Icon of ROP" has been a thorn in the side of champion CM Punk, sensationally turning on him and then destroying his lackey Shannon Moore to turn up the heat on the biggest feud in ROP.
03) John Cena (WWEF) [+, 3] John Cena came out on top in the main event at the Grandest Stage of them all for WWEF, ResuRRection, when he won the WWEF Championship in an exciting Fatal Four Way match that also included Chris Jericho, Mr. Kennedy and former Champion Edge.
04) Triple H (WWEF) [+, 6] Triple H shocked the pic fed world when we want to great measures to defeat CM Punk at WWEF ResuRRection - running into him with a truck! Triple H kept his momentum going when he formed a new, yet to be named group on RAW, and took out Goldberg!
05) Roddy Piper (WF) [+, NR] Roddy Piper changed the face of WrestleFest forever, when he and his team-mates defeated the iconic Four Horseman in a traditional Survivor Series Tag Team Match to force them to leave the company!
06) Kurt Angle (TNA:R) [+, NR] Angle defeated Ken Kennedy at Figamania to retain full control of TNA:Revolution, and on the most recent show introduced "The Phenomenal One" AJ Styles as he continues to be one of the main players in TNA.
07) Harley Race (TWA) [+, NR] Harley Race overcame a literal Giant obstacle when he defeated the 'Eighth Wonder of the World' Andre The Giant to retain the TWA World Championship!
08) Triumvirate (USWF) [+, NR] Forming at the "Rumble For The Gold", The Triumvirate of Preston Bockwinkel, Barn Calhoun and Jules Fargo have been running roughshod over the USWF since their formation, and show no sign of slowing down!
09) The Necro Butcher (FIW) [+, NR] The Necro Butcher defeated Hallowicked on FIW: Independant TV #5 and came one step closer to getting his chance at Raven's World Championship! However, before he can get to Raven, he will get his hands on another man, Cactus Jack!
10) Age of the Fall (ROP) [+, NR] The Age of the Fall have made their intent known in a big way in ROP - to decimate the junior division. And they wasted no time in doing that, taking both the title and mask of Hallowicked at "Luchas de Apuestas" - what is next for this destructive trio?
11) The Rock (wTw) [+, NR] Having already lost out the first time around, The Rock capitalised on a second chance, and kicked the candy ass of Tajiri so hard that not only did he win the wTw Intercontinental Championship, but he also cost him his place in the Page Family!
12) Magnum TA (MS) [+, NR] Magnum has been showing the Mid-South fans exactly why he is one of the most loved wrestlers in the business with his impressive in-ring skills, defending his Mid-South US Heavyweight Championship.
13) Mr. Saito (AWA) [+, NR] Mr. Saito sent Rick Martel out of the arena on a stretcher, but it was a great cost, as he was fined $10,000 and suspended indefinitely! You can be assured that when he returns however, Mr. Saito will be a force feared by all in the TWA.
14) Claudio Castagnoli [+, 16] Claudio defeated his former team mate Chris Hero to win the ROP Intercontinental Title at "Season's Beatings" and has since went on to retain the title against Hero, proving that he is indeed a worthy holder of the belt.
15) The Page Family (wTw) [+, 23] The Page Family have been making waves in wTw, claiming the Hardcore Championship, and (albeit briefly) the Intercontinental Championship also. This team of big men led by the loudmouth Diamond Dallas Page do a lot of talking, but at the moment are definitely backing it up!
16) Beer Money (TNA:R) [+, NR] Beer Money have been on a roll in TNA:Revolution lately, with Robert Roode winning the Television Title in the singles ranks, and Beer Money gaining the upper hand on The Steiner Brothers in their current feud.
17) Jack Swagger (WWEF) [+, 19] Jack Swagger has yet to be defeated in WWEF, and his young career is set to sky-rocket for sure, as at the greatest of WWEF's event's, ResuRRection, he claimed a briefcase with a guaranteed shot at the WWEF Championship in the Feast or Fired match!
18) Kevin Thorne (UCW) [+, NR] Thorne surprised almost everyone in the pic fed world when he defeated The Undertaker in a Hell In A Cell match at the UCW debut show - what does the future hold for the mysterious Thorne?
19) The Time Travellers (WF) [+, NR] This stable of so claimed future World Champions defeated a team that claimed to be the Ultimate Team at WF Survivor Series, and in a dominant fashion to, with the men making a huge mark on WF by gaining a pinfall over The Ultimate Warrior.
20) Christopher Daniels (ROP) [+, NR] "The Fallen Angel" ended his four year exile from Ring of Poison to return at "Luchas De Apuestas!" to form a team with Matt Sydal to take on Cheech and Cloudy for the ROP Tag Titles!
21) D'Angelo Dinero (TNA:R) [+, NR] Though inactive recently, The Pope has been a great public figure for TNA:R, representing them in several media appearances, as well as being a commentator at times. The Pope's return to TNA:R is greatly anticipated, and with a victory he could move up the list!
22) 'Sick' Nick Mondo (FIW) [+, NR] Mondo has been impressing everyone with his displays in FIW. Coming off a stunning series of hardcore matches with Brain Damage, he recently added Gangrel to the list of opponents he has defeated.
23) Jeff Hardy (WWEF) [+, NR] Jeff Hardy made a huge impact when he dove off the stage onto The Undertaker to beat him and continue on in a tournament of extreme matches shot at the WWEF's greatest prize, the WWEF Championship.
24) Boxcar Willie (USWF) [+, NR] Boxcar Willie has been embroiled in a feud with The Memphis Mafia, but with the support of the fans, he believes he can win this war!
25) Cheech and Cloudy (ROP) [+, NR] This pair of literal high flyers proved to be the ultimate underdogs when they claimed the ROP Tag Team Championships in a fatal four way tag team match, and then successfully defended them twice against two top tier teams in the World's Greatest Tag Team and The New Prophecy.
Last Edit: Feb 5, 2011 18:27:05 GMT -5 by shiftyeyes